Just a few days ago, I posted about the elections that are going on in Mongolia. Voting day was Sunday.
The results won't be finalized until July 10th, but the news today was that the Mongolian People's Revolutionary Party (which is communist) has maintained the majority seating in Mongolia's parliament. Immediately after the results were announced at 1:30pm, thousands of Mongolians headed to the main area of town -- Sukhbaatar Square -- to protest what they are claiming was a fixed election. Even though it is now nearly 10pm, friends of Mike and CB's who are down in the square are saying that the rioting is still going strong.
I've added a news stream to the sidebar of the blog in case you're interested in staying abreast of the the situation here in UlaanBaatar. Here's a link to a brief story that touches on the history of party politics in the country as well as what's going on right now.
We want to assure you that we are safe. There has been no violence against foreigners. This anger is internally focused. Most (if not all) of it is being directed at the MPRP.
Please be praying for the political situation.
01 July 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I'm glad everyone is safe. Politics are so crazy! I'll be praying.
Glad you're safe. But please continue to be careful.
I'm glad to hear everything is ok. I know Mike and Carol Beth are taking good care of you all. Prayers are with you.
Post a Comment