None of the members of the Root of Blessing worship team have ever received any formal music training. Nothing in school. No private tutors. They've picked everything up by watching videos, studying chord charts, or just playing around until they were able to match sounds. This is pretty amazing considering how great they sounded in church on Sunday!
They are all eager to improve their skills, though, and so have asked (begged, really) Scott to spend a couple of afternoons this week teaching them basic music theory: how to read music, how to harmonize, and any tips he can give them on their particular instruments. Today was their first theory day and it was a hit! When Mike went to pick up Scott, it was well past the time the meeting was supposed to end and they were still going strong. As Scott wrapped things up, the team indicated that they were going to stay and spend some more time practicing what they had learned.
Scott is really looking forward to tomorrow. With such enthusiastic participants, can you blame him?!
24 June 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
That is just cool. And this from a girl who hates theory with all her heart!
You are in your element Scott. I know how much you must be enjoying yourself teaching these wonderful musicians.
That sounds like such fun! Music theory has never been my strong point, but I know how benefitial even a basic knowledge can be in progressing musically. I wish I was there!
Post a Comment